When you become a mentor with SOHO, we ask you to meet our girls where they are and guide them to where they want to be. Along the way, you will both make lasting friends, develop new skills and be challenged in unexpected ways. Discover the wonders of a shared experience as you navigate a new path together.
Before we match you with one of our girls, we want to make sure SOHO the right match for you. Read about our expectations for mentors below. If you decide SOHO is the perfect fit, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mentor Commitment
Being a mentor means being there for a child.
As a SOHO mentor, you must be able to attend a meeting one night a week from 5:30 pm to 8:00 pm. The program takes place during the school year and runs September through June of the following year. The minimum commitment is 12 months, and you will continue to meet with your mentee throughout the summer months after the end of the structured program.
Living or working in the D.C. metro or Northern Virginia area qualifies you to be a mentor in our program. Our goal is for you to form a lasting bond with your SOHO mentee, so we ask that all SOHO mentors plan on staying in the area for the foreseeable future.
We hope that your mentoring relationship will continue after the first year as your mentee transitions into middle school and beyond.
If you decide to continue your relationship for a second year, you will receive continuing support from SOHO program staff. The second year SOHO Club program provides suggested activities and annual events for mentors and mentees who continue with the program and the matched pairs meet in the community one-on-one.
Role of a SOHO Mentor
Being a mentor means doing the little things, because someday, they’ll lead to really big things
During the first year of the program, SOHO plans and organizes your meetings each week so you can concentrate on building a bond with your mentee. After getting to know your mentee for few months, you are encouraged to do things together outside of SOHO.
Every week, you show up, you listen, and you build the foundations for a transformational relationship with your mentee. You and your mentee will nurture your creativity and find common interests; you will pursue activities that you both enjoy, and will learn to celebrate the moments of discovery and self-expression together.
- Help girls develop self-esteem and confidence in their unique abilities
- Encourage girls as they participate in arts and carpentry activities
- Help girls identify their strengths
- Expose girls to new activities, experiences and career paths
- Guide girls to cultivate a strong sense of responsibility for their actions
- Model behaviors that will help youth develop strong characters
- Demonstrate the skills necessary to build healthy relationships
- Help girls find the resilience to succeed despite obstacles
- Provide girls with a sense of belonging
Characteristics of a SOHO Mentor
Being a mentor means helping your mentee establish and achieve her own goals
Before deciding to become a mentor with SOHO, there are some important questions that we encourage you to ask yourself.
- Do I enjoy listening to and learning about others?
- Am I flexible and able to adapt to new situations?
- Do others consider me reliable and consistent?
- Do I enjoy learning new things?
- Am I interested in the arts and creative activities?
- Am I open to working with a girl who comes from a different background or culture, has a different system of belief, or grew up under different circumstances than I did?
If you are able to answer these questions with a resounding “Yes”, then SOHO might be the right fit for you.
The ideal SOHO mentor is open to new experiences, and active listener, okay with getting her hands dirty, and enthusiastic about embarking on a new adventure with fellow SOHO mentors and mentees. An excellent SOHO mentor demonstrates the following characteristics:
- Fun & upbeat personality
- Ability to roll with the punches
- Clear sense of personal identity
- Effective communication skills
- Suspension of judgment
- Reliability and consistency
- Creativity and resourcefulness
Next Steps to Becoming a SOHO Mentor
Space of Her Own uses the following application process to ensure that we are safeguarding our most important asset, the girls in our program.
- Attend an orientation
- Fill out an online application
- Visit the program in action
- Be invited to interview
- Complete our background check process
- Be invited to mentor-only and observation nights
- Be matched with a mentee
E-mail email@example.com to sign up for an orientation or with any questions on how to get the process started.