Your support is appreciated and necessary year round!
You can make a difference in the lives of at-risk girls and boys in Northern Virginia by supporting Space of Her Own (SOHO)’s unique mentorship and creative skills building programs that make Space of Her Own, and its boys program, Space of His Own, an award winner for its innovative youth programs.
Since Space of Her Own began in 2009, nearly 200 young people have been matched with an equal number of highly skilled, volunteer professionals, who mentor their mentee through a vulnerable time in their lives, when motivation and learning can make a substantial impact on the development of each young person. More than 98% of the young people who have entered SOHO have avoided court involvement and have gone on to demonstrate success in school.
You can impact lives by becoming a SOHO sponsor:
Click below to become a sponsor
Make a special contribution now that matches your interests and ability to support SOHO’s growth.
Make your contribution on line through SOHO’s secure PayPal portal
Or please send your check to Space of Her Own, Inc., 520 King Street, Suite 166, Alexandria, VA, 22314.
SOHO is one of Northern Virginia’s most cost effective 501(c) (3) charities. Our 2013-2014 Annual Reportcontains information about how wisely contributions are spent. Linda Odell, SOHO’s Executive Director, outlines our most recent progress.For more background information about SOHO visit Guidestar, the trusted source for charity information that helps donors make confident giving decisions, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your contribution provides:
- Outstanding mentorship recruitment, training and retention for our nearly 200 mentors and growing.
- Creative learning for nearly 80 young people in SOHO’s visual arts, carpentry, design as well as science, technology, engineering and science (STEM) skills learning that provides the foundation for success in school.
- Healthy meals each week for 40 participating young people who may not otherwise have a healthy evening meal.
- Transportation to and support for events such as the Camp KEKOKA experience, and other exciting SOHO community activities.
- Room renovations for 40 girls and boys, so they can have a special “space of their own.”
- Arts, carpentry, and other classroom supplies for 34 weeks of instruction for 40 SOHO students.
- Continuing mentoring engagement through our Mentor Plus program which includes all SOHO mentors.
- Efficient program management that makes all SOHO initiatives effective in helping young people avoid delinquency and succeed in school.
Join our supporters who recognize that a contribution to SOHO can have a meaningful impact on the lives of young people and help them avoid delinquency and succeed in school!
At Space of Her Own, we do many creative projects with the girls. There are many material donations that will help a young girl decorate her bedroom! The following new and slightly-used items are needed each March prior to room renovations. Please contact us at email@example.com if you have something that you may want to donate!
What we REALLY need:
- Bunk Beds
- New twin mattresses and box springs
What we need:
- Small desks and chairs that can be refinished
- Twin bed frames
- Round mirrors that can be decorated
- New twin sheet sets in traditionally feminine colors
- New pillows
- Lamps with plain, flat shades that can be decorated
- White / eggshell wall paint
- Small dressers and night stands that can be refinished
- New paint brushes, rollers and drop cloths
- Plain curtains and window blinds